The UO is committed to a diverse learning environment. UO Connections is a half-day college advocacy program designed for first-generation, ethnically diverse, or economically disadvantaged high school students in ninth through twelfth grades. The program provides valuable college prep information. Eleven different Connections dates are available during the 2015–16 academic year, allowing the UO to keep group sizes small and the overall experience more intimate and meaningful.
Connections is for
- High school student groups only. If you have a group of students (and individual students) that are not in high school please contact the Special Visit program and they will create a campus visit that is catered to your vision/request.
- Schools/groups that can participate in the ENTIRE program. If you are not able to participate in the entire program, please contact the Special Visit program and they will create a campus visit that is catered to your vision/request.
Connections Program Goals
- Promote higher education
- Provide significant interaction with current UO students
- Educate high school students about admissions and financial aid
- Explore student life opportunities on campus
Each program will serve up to 130 students and will last approximately five hours, from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. During their visit, Connections visitors will participate in information sessions that focus on admissions, financial aid, academics, and extracurricular activities.
Connections sessions are led by UO staff members and multicultural student ambassadors. Students will enjoy lunch at the university and a tour of our beautiful campus, participate in a student panel, and spend time learning about exciting academic and extracurricular programs with current students and members of the UO campus community.
Registration is offered on a space-available basis and limited to a maximum of 130 students per session. Please keep in mind that your request for the number of students you plan to bring should be one you are confident you can fill. Overestimates or cancellations may prevent other schools from attending Connections.
When registering, please include the date you wish to attend, the number of high school students you plan to bring, and your contact information (name, position, school or program, address, mobile or office phone numbers, and e-mail).
All Connections events are scheduled for 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Capacity for each event is 130 seats.
- Fall 2016
- Thursday, October 27, 2016
- Thursday, December 1, 2016 (at capacity)
- Winter 2017
- Thursday, January 19, 2017
- Thursday, February 2, 2017
- Thursday, February 23, 2017
- Spring 2017
- Thursday, April 20, 2017
- Thursday, May 4, 2017
- Thursday, May 11, 2017
Tentative Schedule of Events
|9:30 a.m.||Arrive at UO campus|
|9:30–10:00 a.m.||Check in at the Erb Memorial Union (EMU)|
|10:00–10:15 a.m.||Welcome and Program Introduction|
|Introduction of staff and themes, UO info cards|
|Ambassador activity and ice-breakers|
|Organize into breakout groups|
|10:30–11:30 a.m.||College Connections Presentations|
|Financial Aid Workshop|
|Student Life Workshop|
|11:30 a.m.–12:15 p.m.||Lunch and Prize Drawings|
|12:15–12:55 p.m.||Campus Tour|
|1:00–1:50 p.m.||Interactive College Experience Workshop|
|2:00–2:30 p.m.||UO Student Panel|
|2:30 p.m.||Closing Remarks|